The Cuckoo’s Arrive

One of the main selling points of fictional stories is that they are inherently untrue and usually depict some truly incredible events. Despite all this the reader can always trust that the narrator and the characters are actually seeing or experiencing these events. However, that is not the case with One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest as the narrator, Chief Bromden, is a patient in a psychiatric hospital and his descriptions of the goings on of the hospital appear to be untrustworthy. The main conflict comes between Chief Bromden and Randle McMurphy, a new transferee to the hospital, and the hospital’s staff. I am really enjoying the conflict between McMurphy’s and Nurse Ratched’s wills, both are very stoic and neither intends to bend the knee to the other. I’m really looking forward to finishing this book and seeing how this conflict will develop.

One thought on “The Cuckoo’s Arrive”

1. I’m glad you are enjoying the book, Aidan. What do you think your focus may be? You could certainly focus on Kesey’s use of characterization to convey the theme.